The documentary MILWAUKEE 53206 personalizes the crisis of mass incarceration and intimately depicts the destructive hold this system has on the families and the communities it affects. The stories in this film are not unique to 53206 and can be used to inspire change in ZIP codes across the country. MILWAUKEE 53206 can be used as a tool to educate and activate your community, house of worship, university, and/or workplace.
Free backpacks and school supplies are handed out during an outdoor community screening of MILWAUKEE 53206. The event was hosted by Genesis, a re-entry community organization, and held outside of Family House, an assisted living facility in Milwaukee, WI.
Photo credit: Erik Ljung
Know What’s Going On
- Research the rate of incarceration in your community and which areas are the most affected.
- Find out if your local schools or congregations have resources for the families of incarcerated individuals, and how you can volunteer or donate.
- Reach out to your local prison chaplain to volunteer.
- Start a support group for spouses of the incarcerated with clergy at your local congregation.
- Start or join a prison ministry at a local congregation.
- Drive the family members of those incarcerated for visitation.
Spread the Word
Activate your social networks
Keep the conversation going and help us build awareness. On this page you’ll find resources to post to your personal or organizational social media profiles about MILWAUKEE 53206 and the issue of mass incarceration.